Archive | Painting RSS for this section

Tree creature with three eyes

Part of a root which readily came out of the ground. I saw some kind of bug in it but it became a weird creature with three eyes. 

Old painting 

Found yesterday by my daughter while cleaning in the basement. She also found some of my mom’s books including a first edition of a D.H.Lawrence poetry book (#29 of 1000) signed by his wife. This little undated painting is of my parents standing outside a house they rented in the South of France. This brought back many happy memories. I did this from a photo but I’m not sure where the photo is. I caught something of my parents in it especially my father’s thin legs.

Mosaic 2

Ideas generate ideas and the more art you do the better. Lying in bed this morning I thought of some things I may do on this one: markings in the white space, words, borders around the whole or the individual squares and such. On the other hand I like this. It looks clean (although I could have done a better job with the placement of the squares) and seems pretty complete. 

Woven and a Striped Background

I painted a background on which to mount the second woven painting. I did these for fun but I’m thinking if I ever had a little exhibit I’d frame and show them. They are a bit irregular which bothers my OCD but it is what it is. 

The stripes got lost because this is woven pretty tightly–no space to show the colors throughout. Next time I’ll leave some space. And I have some extra for the next venture. 

Mosaic

These are the edges of the woven piece from yesterday. Not exactly a grid because they are all different sizes but I may try doing a Kerfe style grid with even squares. There is something about this I like. I like how the colors work together and how it moves from the blues to the pinky oranges. 

Woven 2

This time I cut a painting on the paper cutter inadvertently leaving the first strip attached at the edge. This kept the original image somewhat together. 

It also made it easier to weave and to get a tighter weave. Here it is finished. 

I stuck the little squares I cut off down the sides. It’s not glued down though. I did glue down the first one on black painted watercolor paper. 

Here’s a closeup of the second one. This was the abstract I posted last week. 

I am thinking of doing some very small weavings for my greeting card supply. 

Evolution of a Hot Mess

Sometimes a painting just doesn’t work out. This is one of those times. 

It started out innocently enough. Easter egg colors and and abstract composition, nothing wrong with that. 

It seemed bland and it needed contrast so I started messing with it. 

Maybe a little better but just not right. Did a black and white filter on it: pretty awful. 

Oh well. Not every painting has to be a masterpiece. Featured image is the finished one; I added big swaths of black but that didn’t really help either. An example of the process, folks!

Crazy Dancing Girl

When Kerfe was over I showed her my art room. There’s a big pile of paintings on a little table where I toss them. I pulled this one out randomly (it was done a long time ago) and Kerfe said I’d never posted it. So I am, today. Pretty large, gouache resist, don’t remember when I painted it exactly. 

Landscape with curtain

The paper started out painted pink. I really like the effect of painting watercolor paper a solid acrylic color. It makes it a heavier weight. 

This one became a landscape. The curtains are from something else. 

A drawing from last week and the postcard it’s drawn from. I believe it’s ichiban. 

Large Hat/Face

This started out as lines on a large sheet of paper. It became a face wearing a beehive hat (no bees though, those are leaves).